Monday, May 28, 2012

May Oh My

So, in the parenting handbook, the chapter about May being an insane month was left out.  And, let's be honest - Birmingham takes May to a new level with "end-of-the-year" celebrations.  Birmingham kills more trees writing thank you notes and making raffia to "tie up a good teacher gift" than anywhere else.  May is the month of appreciation...for everyone...including Moms...for which I am grateful!  I understand why father's aren't celebrated until June...school's got to be out in order for us to have time to focus on them.

For us, Mayppreciation Month started on May 8 (Happy Birthday, Grandaddy) with a wonderful Mother's Day program at school.  EH sang most of his songs and did all of his motions - I was quite proud.  We then were treated to a delicious luncheon of petite sandwiches, fruit, chips, and lemonade.  EH loved leading me from room to room.  (As a side note, I woke up early, took a shower, and put on my "colorful dress" - per EH's suggestion - and Edmund said, "Hey, what's with the early morning scrubbing today?  You got plans or something?"  To which I replied, "Yes, I've got a show at EH's school today."  Edmund said, "For what?"  I replied, "Mother's Day."  Edmund said, "Oh shoot..."



Afterward, we went to EH's classroom where his teachers set up a beautiful table with cookies and had an "art show" set up.  EH's art is on the red sheet.  (He really wanted a blue background, but he couldn't have one...apparently.) 


Here is EH with his "ninja friends" (L-R) James Flack, EH, and Sam Smith (although EH swears his name is Sam "Sniff - like when you are smelling.")  All three are very into superheroes and discuss which ones they like at lunch.  Sam gets to wear cowboy boots to school, so EH is pretty sure he's the coolest kid.


Sunday was a fantastic Mother's Day (except for the part where Caty Van ended up in the emergency room at 9:45 AM because she and I fell (and I mean splat) on the concrete walkway going to church.  I thought - in the spirit of Mother's Day, I would rock some high wedges with a maxi dress and carry her at the same time - with my bag and her bag on one arm.  Well, not such a great idea because my shoe caught my dress, we fell, I scraped up my knees (boo boo's galore) and Kiki slammed her head into the concrete.  She got sick on her stomach a few times in the nursery - so we decided to go to the emergency room to make sure she was okay.  A cat scan (she was fine) and a popsicle later and we were headed home by noon.  (Note to self - only have emergencies at 9 AM on Sunday morning - emergency room employees are playing M-A-S-H they have so little going on!)  I still got my Mother's Day afternoon to myself and came home with enough shopping bags to warrant two trips from the car!  Happy Mother's Day to me!

The beginning of the week was fine - but Tuesday night - spit it the fan...literally.  EH, Caty Van, and Edmund woke up at 3 AM sick on their stomachs (probably from the fruit that I didn't eat at dinner) and the ailments continued through the next 24 hours.  Kiki kept walking around saying, "I sick.  Blagh."  And, now, she knows she gets attention if she says, "I sick.  Blagh," so we hear it all the time.  EH missed his Beach Party at school the next day, which was devastating, but he did wear his swimsuit all day in hopes that he would be better soon to go to school.  As another side note, having to throw up all the time when preggers does teach your kids to throw up in the commode...both kids threw up in the bathtub or potty in the middle of the night!  (One tiny point for nausea during pregnancy.)

Thursday night (Happy Birthday, Daddy - he posted about that earlier), The Zhi came to town because Edmund and I were off to D.C./St. Michael's, Maryland for a wedding.  We left Friday morning and enjoyed every minute of the trip - including the "chipper chicken" hotel selection of the Best Western.  I am finding that I am a "grown up" though and will probably ask him to splurge for the "fillet" next time.  Maybe he'll make it up when we head for one more weekend get-a-way before the shackles come on in mid-August.  Most of the wedding took place at The Inn at Perry Cabin, which is just beautiful (and the backdrop of the infamous reception of The Wedding Crashers movie).  It was a pretty over-the-top event - even Birmingham Brides would be blushing.


Here we are with Edmund's roommate from college, Nick Lewis, and his wife, Leena Im.  They hosted us at their place in D.C. on Friday night and provided unprecedented hospitality throughout the weekend.  It's amazing what happens when people don't live in a fraternity house and get married.  I mean - clean sheets and breakfast were included amenities.  We hope to get invited back!


Wednesday after we returned, Caty Van and I headed to her favorite spot of the week, "Hello, Susie!" as she calls it.  It's her Music Together class and she loves it!  Her friend, Ila, in the background loves it too - even though in this picture she's exploring "upside down."  Kiki always starts out each class sitting "Criss Cross Applesauce" because that's how the teacher sits.  As soon as the music starts, she jumps up! 


That same Wednesday, just happens to be EH's last day of school celebration.  We showed our Mayppreciation to his class and teachers by hosting a special lunch for the kids.  EH surprised me by eating the heck out of his "ants on a log" first - over pizza and a squeeze up applesauce.  So - looks like Mom got schooled.  (He also asked for lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumbers on his taco the other day at Moe's...which he ate all of...so shame on me for thinking he has the same lack of appreciation for fresh vegetables.)

After the luncheon, the mothers and kids decided to throw a surprise "tea party/bridal shower" for their teachers.  In the spirit of Maypreciation month and by the suggestion of Martha Stewart's distant cousin (a fellow room mother of mine....not really, but I'd believe her if she told me so), we decided to go over-the-top in classic Bham style for the party.  We reserved the church parlor, had homemade everything, ice cream punch, and yes, that's my donation - the watermelon "basket."  Fresh cut hydrangeas (which grow in this region like wild flowers) were all over the room in the teacher's favorite colors (of course!).  The kids hid under the furniture - if you look closely you can see their little legs sticking out everywhere - prepared to yell, "Surprise!"


The kids all created a joint art project to present to their teachers during this event, as well.  We passed around a canvas with various colors of paint and let the children each have a turn painting pull down, pull across, slant, and curved lines (what they've spent the whole year working on) on the canvas.  The artwork turned out beautifully (see below) and it was truly completed by them for their teachers.  Ms. Minna and Ms. Suzanna caught a tear - so I'd say job well done!  The children were clearly thrilled to tell them which colors they painted, etc.  (And, yes, you know I crafted the princess a crown with veil attached...the girls loved it!)


With summer officially starting - we've been spending some quality time in the sprinkler...so stay tuned for a photo shoot from that!  We are off to a Memorial Day Shrimp Boil at a friends' house and maybe I'll take my camera...this group can tend to get a little rowdy.

Cheers from Homewood,

The Balls



No comments:

Post a Comment